Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet tents

C

Calisand

Guest User
In the hope that campsites will reopen in the not too distant future, perhaps only to those with own toilet facilities, I’ve been thinking about getting a toilet tent for housing our porta potti. Many of the reviews I’ve seen are critical of how robust the models are. Does anyone have any recommendations for a model they’ve got/used that are robust enough for weather in UK?

Have been looking at a poop tent for the wife (I’m quite happy with my poop shovel) as we wild camp if we can, none I have seen are robust, all pop up type, you can tie them down, haven’t seen any with a base as they are usually sold as shower tents, a potti would hold it down but the vision of a flying shitter comes to mind.

We've not used this in extreme weather but have in "usual" British weather (wind/rain) and it's been fine. It's pop-up so really easy and quick to put up/pack away. From Decathlon. We've never needed to guy it down, the pegs for the corners have been enough so far...

571563_default.jpg

I have an older version of the Khyam and although pricey it is great very easy to set up and once you have the knack easy to collapse.

This is what you need :pinkbanana:

This is what you need :pinkbanana:

That would be real fun in a wind!!!!! Can just see it now hovering across the site with legs a dangling!

I have an older version of the Khyam and although pricey it is great very easy to set up and once you have the knack easy to collapse.
Nice the pictures show someone supposedly sitting on the loo!!

Nice the pictures show someone supposedly sitting on the loo!!

if it hadn’t been on Indegogo, I’d say it was a wee wee take, especially with the girl holding his hand whilst he takes a dump.

In the hope that campsites will reopen in the not too distant future, perhaps only to those with own toilet facilities, I’ve been thinking about getting a toilet tent for housing our porta potti. Many of the reviews I’ve seen are critical of how robust the models are. Does anyone have any recommendations for a model they’ve got/used that are robust enough for weather in UK?
We have one from Argos. Not pop up but big enough to shower in as well if you take a plastic trug to catch water.

I have a couple of loo tents. First the grey one - it is excellent for the job, A9E1F2BA-2C16-4C91-A598-5ABF2F56C544.jpeg
It has the advantage of a 1.5m on a side base so there is plenty of room inside, it has a detachable floor (easy for cleaning), space for the porta potti and also storage of of other gubbery. There are nets on the walls for storage of loo paper, deo spray etc. Also opening windows if you wamt to enjoy the view whilst sitting. The disadvantage is that it is a pig to erect threading all those alu poles through miles of nylon tubes - and then trying to fit them into the *crown" at the top.. OK for more than two nights... then the effort was worth it.

Number two tent is as shown in other articles.
IMG_1190.jpeg
It is quick to erect but has disadvantages. Firstly has no roof - so in wet weather a brolly expanded over the top is needed. Secondly it is only 80 cm on a side so with porta potti inside not much room to shuffle around, close door, lift seat and get positioned. This manoeuvre is compilcated as the structure is very flimsy and nothing to get hold of. Much easier to enter backwards lift seat, get positioned, close doors then drop trousers , etc. A wrinkle is to pitch the tent with door close to a hedge or screen to create privacy, then you can leave the door open. Makes the process much easier if you are not shy,

Hope this helps...

I have a couple of loo tents. First the grey one - it is excellent for the job, View attachment 59242
It has the advantage of a 1.5m on a side base so there is plenty of room inside, it has a detachable floor (easy for cleaning), space for the porta potti and also storage of of other gubbery. There are nets on the walls for storage of loo paper, deo spray etc. Also opening windows if you wamt to enjoy the view whilst sitting. The disadvantage is that it is a pig to erect threading all those alu poles through miles of nylon tubes - and then trying to fit them into the *crown" at the top.. OK for more than two nights... then the effort was worth it.

Number two tent is as shown in other articles.
View attachment 59243
It is quick to erect but has disadvantages. Firstly has no roof - so in wet weather a brolly expanded over the top is needed. Secondly it is only 80 cm on a side so with porta potti inside not much room to shuffle around, close door, lift seat and get positioned. This manoeuvre is compilcated as the structure is very flimsy and nothing to get hold of. Much easier to enter backwards lift seat, get positioned, close doors then drop trousers , etc. A wrinkle is to pitch the tent with door close to a hedge or screen to create privacy, then you can leave the door open. Makes the process much easier if you are not shy,

Hope this helps...
Hi @Kris Emery
What make is your "grey one" please.
Cheers

Am I the only one using the Portapotti inside the Cali, so I have more space, more sound insulation, no worries about wind or rain, and a sink right next to me to wash my hands?
Especially at night, no need to open and close (slam) the door and wake everybody up...

Am I the only one using the Portapotti inside the Cali, so I have more space, more sound insulation, no worries about wind or rain, and a sink right next to me to wash my hands?
Especially at night, no need to open and close (slam) the door and wake everybody up...
I often use mine in the van when solo, no problem. A loo with a view.

We have to date always used our porta potti in the van for overnight or early morning wees! But if camp site facilities remain closed for a while Mrs Calisand isn’t happy all ablutions are carried out inthe van.

We have to date always used our porta potti in the van for overnight or early morning wees! But if camp site facilities remain closed for a while Mrs Calisand isn’t happy all ablutions are carried out inthe van.
I haven't even discussed with Mrs K yet, she'll go bloody loopy if she thinks we would need to purchase a porta potti to finally get away this year.

Especially if weather is bad so door needs to stay shut

Especially if weather is bad so door needs to stay shut
Look at it another way. The person using the porta potti carries out their business in the comfort and secluded surroundings of the Cali, whilst the other half goes out into the vacant toilet tent. Think of it like a little waiting room, great if it’s raining. :oops: