Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with dog

We haven't got a Cali yet but you've answered my question - where does a 32kg black lab sleep as my wife might not be able to get up top and in any case much quieter downstairs. In our T5 there is more room with bed out and it's hollow under the end but this picture makes sense as long as mine can't smell or see food!
Maybe you could borrow a Cali and get it Lab tested.

Gorgeous lab BTW...looks in great shape.

We only ever buy Ruffwear and have never had any issues - suppose even though expensive you do get what you pay for.
Initial outlay is expensive but long term they are excellent value as they are great quality and last.
Our two have a Ruffwear each in red, pink, blue and orange, we highly recommend them.

The club shop does a parcel shelf cover which would be good when the dog is in the back, I have been trying to find out if it fits the 6.1 but the club shop hasn’t been able to find this info for me can anybody confirm ?

The club shop does a parcel shelf cover which would be good when the dog is in the back, I have been trying to find out if it fits the 6.1 but the club shop hasn’t been able to find this info for me can anybody confirm ?
Ooh! Is there a link to that?

It’s the Comfortz VW T5 T6 California SE & Ocean Parcelshelf Mattress Protector
not sure how to post the link:headbang

We have a Cali on order. Family of 4 plus a small dog (toy cockapoo) - we would like to buy a crate that will fit between front and rear seat rows. What size would be best? Could the crate be secured in place for driving using the anchors - has anyone used them and recommend? Obviously it is 4 seater so we can't secure using harness and seatbelt.

Hiya,
We are a family of four with two Irish Terriers! When they were pups, we did crate them behind the driver’s seat. I just looped an elastic bungee strap around the armrests and hooked them to the cage. The advantage was that, as they were in “the cabin of the car,” they still had eye contact with the boys on the bench.
Now that the dogs are used to travelling, they just plonk themselves on a big dog cushion on the floor! However, if I travel without the boys, they do try to get into their car seats for the journey - quite entertaining!
I have strung a small cargo net between the driver’s and passenger’s seats though - stops them (the dogs, not the boys!) from wandering through!

Hiya,
We are a family of four with two Irish Terriers! When they were pups, we did crate them behind the driver’s seat. I just looped an elastic bungee strap around the armrests and hooked them to the cage. The advantage was that, as they were in “the cabin of the car,” they still had eye contact with the boys on the bench.
Now that the dogs are used to travelling, they just plonk themselves on a big dog cushion on the floor! However, if I travel without the boys, they do try to get into their car seats for the journey - quite entertaining!
I have strung a small cargo net between the driver’s and passenger’s seats though - stops them (the dogs, not the boys!) from wandering through!
Haha brilliant.

Ours is still a puppy (5 months) and he is quite used to travel between the girls in the 5 seater car but of course we won’t have that option in Cali :( Bungee strap sounds like an option. Thank you!

Haha brilliant.

Ours is still a puppy (5 months) and he is quite used to travel between the girls in the 5 seater car but of course we won’t have that option in Cali :( Bungee strap sounds like an option. Thank you!
Hiya,
I’d definitely cage a 5-month old pup. After that, a dog cushion is fine! That’s a personal view though! The big issue is if one was in a horrible accident and an unsecured item (a dog in this case) travelling at a rate of knots towards occupants - the accident didn’t injure/kill me, it was being thumped by a flying dog that finished me off!
We have a Beach, so there is a space between the kids’ car seats - invariably filled with toys/junk!

Hiya,
I’d definitely cage a 5-month old pup. After that, a dog cushion is fine! That’s a personal view though! The big issue is if one was in a horrible accident and an unsecured item (a dog in this case) travelling at a rate of knots towards occupants - the accident didn’t injure/kill me, it was being thumped by a flying dog that finished me off!
We have a Beach, so there is a space between the kids’ car seats - invariably filled with toys/junk!
Do you secure them when they are travelling on the cushion?

Do you secure them when they are travelling on the cushion?
No. My view is that if the worst happens, I’m in a world of trouble anyway.
*braces himself for the cries of shock, horror and bad parenting

Slightly off topic, but I find vet bed gold is a godsend when camping....can be used on the back seat, on the floor...and even used as ‘carpet’ if not used by the dog! And is easy to wash and quick to clean!
i always used either a crate or a harness on the back seat.

Slightly off topic, but I find vet bed gold is a godsend when camping....can be used on the back seat, on the floor...and even used as ‘carpet’ if not used by the dog! And is easy to wash and quick to clean!
+1 for VetBed gold
My Cali is fully carpeted through-out, front and rear with it. Great for dogs and humans. Brilliant stuff.

VetBed is super in the Cali, house, caravan or tent...........and it cleans so easily too. Definitely a good addition

There's a few mentions of the club shop d-ring load anchors in here - I see the fit isn't so straightforward in the T6 rail but it will go in. Is the rail in the 6.1 the same?
I'm thinking of fitting the anchor right behind the passenger seat so the dogs can't leap out when the door is opened.

There's a few mentions of the club shop d-ring load anchors in here - I see the fit isn't so straightforward in the T6 rail but it will go in. Is the rail in the 6.1 the same?
I'm thinking of fitting the anchor right behind the passenger seat so the dogs can't leap out when the door is opened.
I have a T6, but would be very surprised if the rails changed on the T6.1! (I’m in the middle of training our twin terriers to wait until they’re told they can leave the van!)

Are you taking your cat camping with you? :)

This was camping on our drive during the first lockdown, so he didn’t have far to go to find us. I think he’d go exploring if we took him away with us, so not risking it.