Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 4 Begins. Scandinavia 2020

You just got a do what you have to do. I’m nice and cosy, got plenty of food & drink, nice view , when the snow stops as it has at the moment. Planning on staying here tomorrow, a lie in, take some photos , have lunch in the restaurant, buy some things for the grandchildren, that you can only get here, and plan my return.
Have some places to visit in Southern Norway.

View attachment 92833View attachment 92834
Incredible!
Where were you stood for the bottom photo? Or do you have a drone?

You just got a do what you have to do. I’m nice and cosy, got plenty of food & drink, nice view , when the snow stops as it has at the moment. Planning on staying here tomorrow, a lie in, take some photos , have lunch in the restaurant, buy some things for the grandchildren, that you can only get here, and plan my return.
Have some places to visit in Southern Norway.

View attachment 92833View attachment 92834
Well I won’t be going to the 1st one, Trollsteign as the Visitors Centre and the road have been heavily damaged by avalanches. May be re-opened in June 2022.
Incredible!
Where were you stood for the bottom photo? Or do you have a drone?
Not mine I’m afraid. It’s a place called Lysebotn . These are mine from my last visit.

453B86E8-D2D2-4E63-AAC0-C36BBB7B21E4.jpeg6125B9EA-23AB-4789-AAFF-457B59DA8BA6.jpeg52853202-7FBA-40EA-9788-E09818952CB2.jpeg

Day 7.

Made it , just. Watch the video that follows and you'll see why.

2607 miles from South Wales( excluding ferries ).

This looks like heaven (and no, I’m not being sarcastic). But question: how do you know where the road even is at 1:30 in the video?

This looks like heaven (and no, I’m not being sarcastic). But question: how do you know where the road even is at 1:30 in the video?
Luck and the red snow poles I glimpsed.

Well it’s that time of year. It might be sunny between the frequent horizontal rain showers but the wind is blowing and it’s cold. Even Max, our mad ginger Tom, only goes outside for the bare minimum and is curled up on my lap.
So, plans for the year. Well, we are going to Copenhagen and Sweden in the autumn as my wife, heavily into running, wants to do the Copenhagen Half Marathon in September and we’ve booked a Hotel close to the Start/Finish.
But I have just over 3 weeks in the diary for my own driving holiday to Norway.
2015 I drove to Knordkapp via Sweden and Finland.
2017 it was Tromso via Sweden and back through Norway via the Lofoten Islands.
2019 I drove round Southern Norway as far north as the Trollsteign.

This year a challenge - Knordkapp via Norway and a return via, well I don’t know depends on how long it takes to get to Knordkapp.

So, ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland booked, fixed date going out flexible for the return. 6th to 31st May.

Red Pennant Holiday Insurance booked. Multi trip this time to cover the autumn trip.

ASCI membership sorted and ASCI app updated for 2020.

My stock of MRE Wet meals updated . Howls of anguish from some Forum members, but I like something simple after a days driving and I do cover some miles each day and can’t be bothered searching out shops/supermarkets but will be buying if I pass one.

Only some Foreign Currency to sort.

Won‘t have to bother about a Green Card or International Driving Licence this time

Van has been serviced , new CrossClimate tyres all round, empty 907 replaced as running on my 904 at present.

Hi i live in Norway so drop me a line if you are in the west of Norway i live in Haugesund the best tip from me is driving into the petrol station and buy a coffee deal it cost around £30 from shell or circle K you can get as many coffee as you like from there petrol stations it really a good deal coffee paid for right the way though your journey

Day 7.

Made it , just. Watch the video that follows and you'll see why.

2607 miles from South Wales( excluding ferries ).

Good vid.:thumb
I'm wondering if you are on a mission to test out the Cali heater and your
new pyjamas :)

Currently sat in my shorts drinking wine and its 25° , gonna be 30° on Wednesday.
Even though I want to do the trip that you are doing, I can't head north when we have
good weather on our doorstep.
I'll have to pencil it in for a July or August trip after seeing that video. :thumb

Good vid.:thumb
I'm wondering if you are on a mission to test out the Cali heater and your
new pyjamas :)

Currently sat in my shorts drinking wine and its 25° , gonna be 30° on Wednesday.
Even though I want to do the trip that you are doing, I can't head north when we have
good weather on our doorstep.
I'll have to pencil it in for a July or August trip after seeing that video. :thumb
-1 and snowing.

I should have swapped the Cali for this parked next door.
20220509_151410.jpg

A very large snowplough just turned, circled round the car park and now on its way back ploughing the other carriageway.

Crikey @WelshGas! I have to admire your grit and tenacity :thumb That is indeed a loooooooong trip in a short time…well done that man!

How are you getting on with the roof up and no (visible?) insulation? As you know I really love Norway and will return again one day but I will wait for warmer weather :cool:

It’s a shame about the Trollstiggen :(

Any way, good luck and please do continue to keep us all posted.

Crikey @WelshGas! I have to admire your grit and tenacity :thumb That is indeed a loooooooong trip in a short time…well done that man!

How are you getting on with the roof up and no (visible?) insulation? As you know I really love Norway and will return again one day but I will wait for warmer weather :cool:

It’s a shame about the Trollstiggen :(

Any way, good luck and please do continue to keep us all posted.
No problem with the roof being up and there is no additional insulation. On my own, I sleep downstairs.
I wanted to get here and then meander back.

Well the Centre staff arrived at 0830 hrs in 2 vans followed by the snow plough.

I know this might cause comments, but, with the weather as it has been and the road conditions this last few hundred miles I am extremely glad:
1. I have a 4Motion
2. Michelin Crossclimate all season tyres
3. My California is not lowered.

Numbers 1 and 2 not required when the weather is good, which it isn’t at the moment.

Number 3 would be problematic anytime of year.
When they upgrade the roads up here they strip right back to the gravel base which you drive on while they do the other carriageway. It doesn’t take long for the 10/12 or 16 wheeler HGVs to turn that into a moonscape that’s so rough that off-reading is smoother. Standard suspension just copes with care. And of course the truckers with their air ride just power through at whatever the speed limit is.

Been here for 24 hrs now. Fridge On, Heater On for past 24 hrs level 2/3 or 4 plus lights, water pump and charging phone, iPad and camera.
Control Panel shows 12.5v and 80% capacity. So good for tonight.

I know I’ve got a solar panel but it’s heavily overcast and been snowing on and off constantly.

Considering we’re at the end of the road, the Norwegians don’t mess around with their snow ploughs. 3 visited today.

2D35A5E0-9849-4C83-9EA6-0D5AEB653980.jpegF32FABF6-CC77-40F4-8072-2846791C4D72.jpeg2DCE6EB5-0197-4456-9F58-7DF183C111B5.jpeg

WG. Thank you for your detailed write up and regular updates. All being well, we will be making trips to Norway in the coming years – we haven’t been there for over 33 years and would like to return. We were there in September in 1988 and in some places, it had begun to snow again. So, the window of opportunity is relatively small!

WG. Thank you for your detailed write up and regular updates. All being well, we will be making trips to Norway in the coming years – we haven’t been there for over 33 years and would like to return. We were there in September in 1988 and in some places, it had begun to snow again. So, the window of opportunity is relatively small!
Very true. The locals I’ve spoken too have all said that this year is unusual with the amount of snow that has fallen and the lateness.

Well I got to Nordkapp. No midnight sun this time on account of a 30mph wind, ice blizzard, fog and -7c wind chill . But I have my memories as you can see from my Avatar.
So where to go next.
I waited until the Centre Staff arrived in their minibus and asked the driver what the road was like. He asked, have you got winter tyres, no, All Season. Fine, no problem then. And their wasn’t.
A French Motorhome left before me after spending an hour putting chains on, on the back wheels. I’m sure it was FWD. Anyway with the road as it was he was running chains on tarmac. No wonder the roads get chewed up.
Now in Alta and decided to head for Lysebotn, in southern Norway. The quickest route is via Sweden. So I’m crossing into Finland then Sweden, but instead of taking the coastal route I’m going to travel down the middle. A lot of campsites have delayed opening this year due to the weather but it’s not been so bad in Sweden so I have been told. We’ll see.

Great trip, thanks for sharing! I'm impressed by how well the Crossclimate tyres perform, looking at the road conditions in your video. Have fun in Sweden, do keep us posted.