Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My Factory Warranty has not been registered with VW .........................

Phoned VWCS and was advised that the extended warranty hasn't been registered on our March 16 Cali :( [Service plan all ok though]

This despite receiving an email from VWCS last year advising that they had received 'the extended warranty form' and it would be applied to my Cali.

They are going to contact the dealer to chase for me as they advised it's something that the dealer needs to do & will then get back to me. Will leave it with them for a bit and then chase again - fairly relaxed as have copy of the invoice and the email, but it would be better if things ran a little smoother! We still love our Cali though! :)

I have exactly the same document which I am quite happy with.

I can't see how it can be disputed in the event of an issue in years 3-5.

Mike
I have the same too.

I have the same too.

Have the same document too.
Phoned VWCS to check they have it on their system out of curiosity.
Not on their system. I'm not surprised !!!! They are going to check why & get back to me today

Not concerned because have copy of the warranty extension registration sent by VWCS to dealer.

I seem to have opened a can of worms here !!! There are clearly several of us who have paid for extended warranty in good faith and have no evidence to that effect (other than invoices).

As @El Greco says, it is unlikely that so many dealers are pulling a fast one so this seems to be more of an issue with registration.

@RoB5urf @T6 CFO @Jabberwocky - would one of you be good enough as to contact VWCS to check that they have visibility of the extended warranty. If they do then it seems likely that some dealers have not correctly registered. If they cannot see it then it may be that there is a fundamental registration issue affecting all registrations!!!

@Victor - the warranty was definitely available on the California. If you have paid for it then you are in the same position as me, @El Greco and @iamchucky .

@Alied - your experience gives us hope. Fingers crossed the rest of us will achieve the same outcome soon. Did your emails come from VWCS or the dealer?

Have the same document too.
Phoned VWCS to check they have it on their system out of curiosity.
Not on their system. I'm not surprised !!!! They are going to check why & get back to me today

Not concerned because have copy of the warranty extension registration sent by VWCS to dealer.
Thanks @calimera . It looks as though this could be a fairly widespread issue. it may be that the dealers have registered it but that ther is an issue with VW's system. I'll let my dealer know and suggest they search for the confirmation email.

Thanks @calimera . It looks as though this could be a fairly widespread issue. it may be that the dealers have registered it but that ther is an issue with VW's system. I'll let my dealer know and suggest they search for the confirmation email.

Just had called back from Terry VWCS, has found the registration !!!!:) I do have the confirmed warranty registration document from VWCS.

There are 2 systems that the dealers use to check what has been purchased with vehicle. One is voluntary & is the system that most dealers & VWCS look at.
This system didn't have our extended warranty registration BUT when he looked at the ELSA system ,could see our warranty registration. Terry is emailing the rest of callerhandlers at VWCS to let them know to look at the ELSA system.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Lets hope that this is the issue that we are all facing in which case we have nothing to worry about except some level of confusion and incompetence!!

I will ask for documentary evidence that the registration exists though.

Just had called back from Terry VWCS, has found the registration !!!!:)

There are 2 systems that the dealers use to check what has been purchased with vehicle. One is voluntary & is the system that most dealers & VWCS look at.
This system didn't have our extended warranty registration but when he looked at the ELSA system ,could see our warranty registration. Terry is emailing the rest of callerhandlers at VWCS to let them know to look at the ELSA system.

Bit of kiddum i suspect on their part, was told exactly the same 18 months ago.
Even phoned up to see if i could purchase extended warranty to five years, call handler replied could not be purchased until vehicle is 3years old.
All in all they do not seem to know their products very well.
God knows what will happen after year three as a lot of us will be making claims.

I seem to have opened a can of worms here !!! There are clearly several of us who have paid for extended warranty in good faith and have no evidence to that effect (other than invoices).

As @El Greco says, it is unlikely that so many dealers are pulling a fast one so this seems to be more of an issue with registration.

@RoB5urf @T6 CFO @Jabberwocky - would one of you be good enough as to contact VWCS to check that they have visibility of the extended warranty. If they do then it seems likely that some dealers have not correctly registered. If they cannot see it then it may be that there is a fundamental registration issue affecting all registrations!!!

@Victor - the warranty was definitely available on the California. If you have paid for it then you are in the same position as me, @El Greco and @iamchucky .

@Alied - your experience gives us hope. Fingers crossed the rest of us will achieve the same outcome soon. Did your emails come from VWCS or the dealer?
OK, I rang VWCS and they were very helpful but sadly did not have knowledge of my Extended Warranty and suggested that I contact my dealer. They did say however, that there had been some issues over registering these in recent months. VWCS put me through to my dealer, I spoke to an after sales person who didn't know that you had to buy the Extended Warranty within three months of initial vehicle registration! Eventually spoke to my Salesman. Much better - lots of good old fashioned common sense. Told me not to worry and will send me a copy of correspondence between Birmingham Van Centre and VWCV (UK). Excellent!

I now have a copy of an email from VWCV (UK) to my dealer confirming registration by VWCV (UK) but what is really interesting is the text at the bottom of the email. It says "I can confirm that this has been registered. However, every quarter they are uploaded to SAGA/2 and Elsa pro, therefore, this will not be viewable yet." I wonder how long their backlog is? Anyway it might explain why some Extended Warranties are not fully registered yet. Hope this helps.

OK, I rang VWCS and they were very helpful but sadly did not have knowledge of my Extended Warranty and suggested that I contact my dealer. They did say however, that there had been some issues over registering these in recent months. VWCS put me through to my dealer, I spoke to an after sales person who didn't know that you had to buy the Extended Warranty within three months of initial vehicle registration! Eventually spoke to my Salesman. Much better - lots of good old fashioned common sense. Told me not to worry and will send me a copy of correspondence between Birmingham Van Centre and VWCV (UK). Excellent!

I now have a copy of an email from VWCV (UK) to my dealer confirming registration by VWCV (UK) but what is really interesting is the text at the bottom of the email. It says "I can confirm that this has been registered. However, every quarter they are uploaded to SAGA/2 and Elsa pro, therefore, this will not be viewable yet." I wonder how long their backlog is? Anyway it might explain why some Extended Warranties are not fully registered yet. Hope this helps.

I managed to get a copy of correspondence from my Dealer to VW today confirming warranty which is dated early 2016. However VWCV still couldn't see it on their system when I asked today

I managed to get a copy of correspondence from my Dealer to VW today confirming warranty which is dated early 2016. However VWCV still couldn't see it on their system when I asked today
Did your dealer get a confirmed reply from VWCV? That's the bit of paper/email you want if VWCV's system is playing up.

It came from the dealer. The extended warranty was the same format as @RoB5urf[.

You seem to all have more responsive dealers than I do :(. I raised this with them via email on 13 February this year and am no further forwards - that's 10 weeks !!! My patience is rapidly running out.

You seem to all have more responsive dealers than I do :(. I raised this with them via email on 13 February this year and am no further forwards - that's 10 weeks !!! My patience is rapidly running out.
You do seem to be suffering. My dealer (Birmingham, Clive Lediard) told me that he has recently been helping someone who bought a Cali from another dealer which was delivered with wrong spec to find a new vehicle simply because the buyer had lost all faith with the supplying dealer. He said it happens all the time (him trying to sort out others mistakes/frustrations). I guess he must be doing something right look at all the awards his dealership have had recently! (No I am not getting paid for this but my experience has been exemplary and I feel worth a comment.)
awards-logo.jpg

Did your dealer get a confirmed reply from VWCV? That's the bit of paper/email you want if VWCV's system is playing up.

Yes, although the reply is from a member of the VWCV team who has since left. Happy I have enough documentation to prove I have it, but would just prefer the piece of mind to have it flagged on the main VW system when I call them.

Yes, although the reply is from a member of the VWCV team who has since left. Happy I have enough documentation to prove I have it, but would just prefer the piece of mind to have it flagged on the main VW system when I call them.
Indeed, especially as it all seems rather flakey!

Did you ask them to look at ELSA system see my thread above ?

Get them to check ELSA system.

Did you ask them to look at ELSA system see my thread above ?

Yes I mentioned this, She advised there were communication updates going around the team concerning this. I went for the 'I'll leave it a week or so and then phone back' option

I had a call from VW today confirming that my extended warranty was indeed registered. They will send me an email to confirm.

There is some confusion about getting some document to confirm this apart from the invoice from the dealer. The VW guy (I think his name is Imran) said he was going to ring a few dealers to see what the registration process is and if it's satisfactory for the customer.

The warranty, the three normal AND two years extended, is a VW warranty and no part is a dealer warranty. Any VW dealer anywhere in Europe will honor the warranty without any charges expected from the customer. Any repairs carried out by other repairers must be paid for by the customer and a claim to be submitted via a VW dealer in the UK with reimbursement being made by VW for the elements under warranty.

I hope this helps :)

Well it's now official! The dealer failed to register my extended warranty and VW is refusing to accept a late registration.

To say I am p****d off would be putting it mildly. This is on top of an incorrect build, roof corrosion and the dealer cracking my waste water tank whilst trying to troubleshoot the sensor. Can VW or their dealers do anything right?

I really don't know what to do now. Fundamentally I love the Cali but I hate everything about VW and their dealers and get a feeling of dread every time I have to deal with them.

I'll reflect over the weekend but I guess I will get some legal advice next week about what to do as the dealer is clearly in breach of contract and unable to rectify it due to VW's intransigence.

:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

Well it's now official! The dealer failed to register my extended warranty and VW is refusing to accept a late registration.
The dealer should take on the financial risk of the warranty, and take out insurance on your behalf against the risk of them not being able to cover a warranty issue.

Back