Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California order times

How long did it take to get your T6 California from ordering

• Total voters
Status 20 – Factory ordered with confirmed build week of week 9. Hoping for delivery early March (ordered 2nd week of Oct). Holding our nerve with Bamboo Green is hopefully going to pay off and beat the VED raise.

We've just had an update, we're now code 38: Vehicle in port of exit – released to shipping. Hope to have it in the next fortnight or so. Approx six and a half months from order to delivery.

We've just had an update, we're now code 38: Vehicle in port of exit – released to shipping. Hope to have it in the next fortnight or so. Approx six and a half months from order to delivery.
Seems about average. Next hurdle? Get it registered before 1st April. All the best.

How long does it take to build a California? Ours was confirmed week 9 so I would have expected it to have been built by now. Well, apparently not according to VWCC who I just phoned. I was then told it should arrive at the dealers in week 16 (beginning 18 April). To say I'm mightily pi**ed-off is an understatement.

How long does it take to build a California? Ours was confirmed week 9 so I would have expected it to have been built by now. Well, apparently not according to VWCC who I just phoned. I was then told it should arrive at the dealers in week 16 (beginning 18 April). To say I'm mightily pi**ed-off is an understatement.

I know it must be very frustrating for you, being so close to the 1st April deadline.... However, VWCC quoted me quite a few times much worse than what was actually achieved. I think they quote "worst case." Fingers-crossed for you and all the others, who are also hoping for a fair-wind over the next few weeks.

My wk48 build, left the factory and onto shipping pretty quickly. It arrived at UK port before the end of December. It then stayed at the UK port for a few weeks, before it was delivered to my dealer for collection on 21st January. I've seen some comments on how maybe it's possible to register, as soon as the dealer has the VIN/Chassis number, and the vehicle hits UK shores. Might be worth perusing this, with your dealer?

Last edited:
VWCC overestimate the time these things take, and add in pre-delivery inspection time. Your vehicle can be registered soon after it hits UK soil.

Ours was also a confirmed build week 9 and my dealer reckons he'll have it in the next week or two.

I had a copy of my final order sent through today (as I'd added DSG after the intitial order) and I noticed a chassis number on there. I understand that with this as soon as it lands in the UK it can be registered.

I would suggest calling your dealer rather than VWCC and see what they say.

Rob, I know its a long shot but don't forget the dealer can still register your vehicle as soon as its on UK soil - he only needs the VIN number. No harm in asking (in a pushy way) to explore that possibility. All the best.

Edit: Didn't see earlier post sorry!

Last edited:
I spoke to my dealer today. I'm week 12 confirmed. Free upgrade to DSG gue to manual gearbox issues. My dealer said, regarding my April 1st VED query, "don't stress about the VED hike if your vehicle arrives a bit too late - VW are acutely aware of the situation and things are in hand." When I said "you mean they are going to pay the difference", he suggested that I shouldn't put words in his mouth, but that was definitely the conversational drift. So it might not be too bad after all. Mind you, with the free DSG upgrade, and then cheaper VED after six years, I'm not that bothered either way, but a helping hand from VW would always be nice. I'll keep you posted.

Build normally 2 weeks, possibly 3.
Shipping Factory to dealer 3 weeks.
I had the DVLA Reg details 3 weeks before 1st March purchase.
Didn't pay anything after order deposit until collection day.

Told mine was being built on week 4. Noticed Dealer PDI on 18/2/17; week 7.

A little bit more hope for you? Mine was build week 4 (w/c 23/01/17) took delivery 20/02/17. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for the encouraging words peeps. I've calmed down a bit now (without the aid of alcohol!). I'll call the the dealer tomorrow (since he's failed to return my email) and discuss the possibility of registering before delivery to dealership (if it comes to that). Last time I mentioned it he seemed reluctant in case it has to be de-registered for any reason (I guess extra paperwork is involved :rolleyes:).

Apart from the possibility of higher VED rates, we also have a number of away weekends planned through April and I was hoping to use the Cali rather than having to book a Premier Inn or Travelodge.
Cheers

Thanks for the encouraging words peeps. I've calmed down a bit now (without the aid of alcohol!). I'll call the the dealer tomorrow (since he's failed to return my email) and discuss the possibility of registering before delivery to dealership (if it comes to that). Last time I mentioned it he seemed reluctant in case it has to be de-registered for any reason (I guess extra paperwork is involved :rolleyes:).
I see you live in Kent, who is your dealer?

Same as yours I believe (SMG-T)

Same as yours I believe (SMG-T)
Ours is from SMG Tonbridge too and we ordered the same week as you. I suggest you call as I find this works best. I have to say that they seem to be doing everything they can to make sure that we're registered before the VED increase. They even suggested registering as soon as they have the VIN and it's landed in the UK. My gut feeling is you're going to be ok!

I have to say that they seem to be doing everything they can to make sure that we're registered before the VED increase. They even suggested registering as soon as they have the VIN and it's landed in the UK. My gut feeling is you're going to be ok!
When I went for our handover, Martin told me about this problem. What you say is exactly my impression: SMG Tonbridge will do everything they can physically and practically do to get new vehicles registered before April fools' day.

We're on confirmed build this week. Mr B spoke to our dealer today for an update and it's going to be touch and go whether it's in the UK before the 1st April. He said they can't register it until it goes to code 50, which is usually a couple of days after arriving in the UK. There's nothing we can to do to hurry it along, so it's now a waiting game.

Our dealer said they want to get vehicles registered asap and certainly within two weeks of arriving in the UK otherwise they get a 3.5% fine from VW. Apparently this was imposed in November - the reason being the the falling pound after Brexit.

We're on confirmed build this week. Mr B spoke to our dealer today for an update and it's going to be touch and go whether it's in the UK before the 1st April. He said they can't register it until it goes to code 50, which is usually a couple of days after arriving in the UK. There's nothing we can to do to hurry it along, so it's now a waiting game.

Our dealer said they want to get vehicles registered asap and certainly within two weeks of arriving in the UK otherwise they get a 3.5% fine from VW. Apparently this was imposed in November - the reason being the the falling pound after Brexit.
That's a new one - the fine for failure to register within two weeks - not sure I understand that.

Anyway fingers crossed for you! Good luck.

It isn't really a fine. My understanding is if they don't register within 2 weeks (after a certain date) then they lose the right to have the pre-1st December price.

Our dealer said that because VW increased their prices in November they're honouring the prices of vehicles ordered before the price rise, but have imposed this two week rule in case dealers order to 'stock pile' vehicles at the cheaper rate.

Whatever the reason, we have fingers firmly crossed for a March delivery and registration!

It isn't really a fine. My understanding is if they don't register within 2 weeks (after a certain date) then they lose the right to have the pre-1st December price.
I think we posted at the same time - yes, you're right. Losing the right to the old price is probably a better than saying a fine.

Our dealer said that because VW increased their prices in November they're honouring the prices of vehicles ordered before the price rise, but have imposed this two week rule in case dealers order to 'stock pile' vehicles at the cheaper rate.

Whatever the reason, we have fingers firmly crossed for a March delivery and registration!
Ah! That makes a bit more sense. Thanks.

......stock pile vehicles .........I ordered end of November and still not even an unconfirmed build date..... lots of holidays booked and I want to plan when I can sell my current Cali SE!

Ordered end of September. Somewhat annoyed that customers ordered their vans from the same dealer I purchased from after my order date and yet getting their vans before me. How does that happen?

I asked my dealer and he said 50 days to register from the date of arrival in U.K. That is the maximum allowable. Said he.

From my order to delivery experience you can only be reasonably certain as to pick up is when it goes to the waiting to be shipped stage.
I had 2 "it's being built this week" messages about a month apart.

Normal practice I believe is for dealers to be on a sliding scale, time related,as to how much profit margin they get from factory.

Cali's are probably one of the few vehicles that are pre sold orders.

That's why you see pre-reg cars with only a few miles on the clock being sold cheaply.

Back