Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with dog

This was camping on our drive during the first lockdown, so he didn’t have far to go to find us. I think he’d go exploring if we took him away with us, so not risking it.
Haha that's what I was thinking. Although I have seen a cat on one of the campsites in France. She was wondering around on a very long lead...still not sure what to think about it.

Nice to see your dog and a cat getting on nicely. We have 5 months old pup and 2 years old cat and the cat is not interested in making friends at all :(

PS. Nice view from your drive!

Haha that's what I was thinking. Although I have seen a cat on one of the campsites in France. She was wondering around on a very long lead...still not sure what to think about it.

Nice to see your dog and a cat getting on nicely. We have 5 months old pup and 2 years old cat and the cat is not interested in making friends at all :(

PS. Nice view from your drive!
She made friends with everyone. Our cats all came up to her to do that “fist pump” thing they do with their heads regularly. Even the sheep were fans. 88ABA850-4DE7-4249-BA11-18BC379292F5.jpeg

I have a T6, but would be very surprised if the rails changed on the T6.1! (I’m in the middle of training our twin terriers to wait until they’re told they can leave the van!)

I contacted the shop and they replied

"Yes they should be fine for the 6.1"

I will go for that plus a harness and a dog bed (or maybe a soft crate to start with) behind front seats.

On a different note - do you usually travel with rear bench moved as far backwards as possible or moved forwards closer to front seats?

I will go for that plus a harness and a dog bed (or maybe a soft crate to start with) behind front seats.

On a different note - do you usually travel with rear bench moved as far backwards as possible or moved forwards closer to front seats?
Ours is a Beach, not an Ocean. We have the hinged table/bed extension at the rear and travel with the “flap” down so that the bench can go back as far as possible. There is still plenty of room behind the bench for all the groceries/crud (as a “car boot”) but we like having as much room as possible in the cabin for the boys and the dogs.

We did. Gave us more boot space when travelling too and prevented our Lab Dolly flying around. D ring went in behind passenger seat. And she was harnessed in and slept in her bed. All worked well.

I mean we had it moved forwards

Daphne, our Vizsla, loves everything about our van trips making sure she sits on the bench seat as we pack. En-route she’s comfy on that same seat secured by a tether attached to the seatbelt. She always seems to know when we approach a beach, sitting up and looking out of the side windows.

Night time she settles on that same seat or the front passenger seat which we cover with her blanket. If the night time temp is due to fall she will wear her, er, pyjamas. Mock if ye must, but she has a single short coat and does feel the cold. She knows they are cosy so is more than happy to suffer any teasing from fellow campers Which has happened: “Excuse me but my wife and I were just discussing last night, was your dog wearing....?”

She would give anything to be able to get up beside us on that upper deck and looks up imploringly in the morning As we have our first mug of tea in bed.

We did wonder how we would get on with a 22kg canine road-trip companion. As it turns out she is no bother at all and positively enhances Cali life just she does household life.74BD6EF4-E25F-420D-B704-550492B5A4E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to retrieve this picture from daughter‘s phone... she picked her jammies to match her own dressing gown. Honestly?!E045D587-F644-48FA-A37C-55317050ED1D.jpeg

Had to retrieve this picture from daughter‘s phone... she picked her jammies to match her own dressing gown. Honestly?!

Sweeeeeet! Made my morning! (I'm such a softie where dogs are concerned)

Our working cocker feels the cold too. First dog we've had that's been like that. After being hosed down post- walk she has to be put in a towel dog coat.

Cali arrived this week and this is our set up for now.

Planning to buy another restraint to use on the back bench attached to isofix point to let him sit between our girls.

4F1266E6-C429-4DCE-99E6-761A0F0ADD2F.jpeg

E147E04A-AB48-4541-BBA6-425547FC0948.jpeg

How beautiful - is he a Drakeshead by any chance? I have one and they are so clever and adorable but mines now nearlyView attachment 74647 4 and 35kg!
Oh he is a very handsome boy! Cedric is not a Drakeshead as there was no mention of it in his lineage. He has a working dog background. I was under the impression that Drakeshead was a relatively recent prefix added by a couple who are breeders, so I suspect they are still quite rare. Cedric is now 6 months and 24kg! Thandi was always around 30kg, but she wasn't as tall as many boys get and we were careful not to let her get too round. Your boy looks tall. I agree, they are clever and adorable, which makes them quite manipulative without trying!

Oh he is a very handsome boy! Cedric is not a Drakeshead as there was no mention of it in his lineage. He has a working dog background. I was under the impression that Drakeshead was a relatively recent prefix added by a couple who are breeders, so I suspect they are still quite rare. Cedric is now 6 months and 24kg! Thandi was always around 30kg, but she wasn't as tall as many boys get and we were careful not to let her get too round. Your boy looks tall. I agree, they are clever and adorable, which makes them quite manipulative without trying!
Yeh Skye is quite tall and has sooooo much energy. Yes Drakeshead come from Cheshire and a couple called the Halsteads set the breeding up around 40 years ago I think - they still work and breed winners - look up Drakeshead and you'll see Skyes Grandfathers Vodka and Viper. They used to be UK Team trainers and won loads of Trial Awards. They do command a price but quite amazing as one thing is they are DNA free from certain lab problems like this GPRA eye thing and sudden collapse syndrome. Ours is a family pet but automatically retrieves without training - I've had very confused partridge dropped at my feet without asking lol. One brill thing is completely ignores other dogs and isn't scared by the slightest noises i.e. fireworks and hasn't destroyed a single thing in our house - he also travels well - we went from Norwich to Ullswater in one go and all he wanted was his tea!!