Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 3 - Begins. Scandinavia 2019

Well, getting onto the main route this morning was a trial. Google maps showed red on every main route, road works, accidents and just congestion everywhere. But Sally SatNav, my trusty RNS510 got me through it all without stopping and now I’m here, just outside Hamburg at Knaus Campingpark. Cali heaven for some as you drive through the local IKEA car park to access the campsite. Virtually empty and with a very modern, and heated, service block. Took me 10 minutes to set up and 2 Caravans that arrived just after are still not sorted and that was an hour ago.
99DFA4D8-40BD-4EC5-AB22-A7600EEAA397.jpeg

One observation, on the German Autobahn there were some speed limits on certain sections, work on hard shoulder, passing towns etc: Who are these limits for? The only drivers that seemed to be observing them were those with Non German Number plates. The locals certainly weren’t by a very wide margin. In the U.K. we have the ubiquitous “ Average Speed Cameras “. The authorities would make an absolute fortune if they fitted them on the Speed limited sections. Oh, and I have yet to see a Police Traffic car on the Autobahn yet. Mind you there might be undercover cars on there.

If you are coming here to Bergen, try this place
Just a half hour from the city and you can park up looking out over the sea. We tested it out a couple of weeks ago, nice to wake up and have a brew looking out over the sea. Otherwise there are a couple of spots nearer the city centre if you don’t want to be out of town, but they are just car parks.

8900E0F0-B019-4147-A1DD-D11336DDF38F.jpeg

“ Average Speed Cameras “. The authorities would make an absolute fortune if they fitted them on the Speed limited sections. Oh, and I have yet to see a Police Traffic car on the Autobahn yet.
[/QUOTE
Leave it. its fine the way it is :Stig

Rained all night but had stopped this morning but as soon as I got on the A7 heading North the heavens opened and it’s rained all day, but I think it may have just stopped, maybe.
Well interesting day. Got stopped at the Danish Border. Lots of Police and Army present. Were checking All vans, people carriers and cars with large boots. They new about the California though. After checking the boot, which was full I was asked to slide the bench seat forward so they could check behind. Weren’t interested in passports. Lorries were also being pulled over and searched. 6 young lads in a minibus were having their papers checked though.
Was amazed at the number of cars LEAVING Denmark for Germany. For some 30+ miles on the E45/20 there were 2 solid lanes of cars, lots of coaches and the occasional HGV heading South, and it was only 11am. It was as if Denmark was being evacuated. It was at least 50 vehicles heading South for everyone heading North.
Maybe they heard I was coming.:shocked
Anyway, campsite next to a marina nestled amide some major hotels and a very modern looking museum. Can’t see The Bridge to Malmo as it is still very misty.
4BF4BA3F-B127-49E5-8EFB-AC69810E5069.jpeg

DCDDED42-FC99-4291-B805-9F6449F0D40E.jpeg

While checking what the Toll was for the Oresund Bridge, Copenhagen to Malmo, I found you could purchase a ticket, single or return ( return valid for upto 30 days ) On-Line at a Discount.of about 10%.
Anyone interested details here.

Price list here.

Well I never saw the Oresund Bridge there was thick fog and low cloud. All I could see was the road in front. But, the fog lifted when I got to the Swedish side. Whizzed through the Toll Lane as I had bought an on-line pass and then All Stop. The Swedish Border Force were out in strength. This time a Passport Check and a look inside the vehicle. This time they were checking every vehicle and person.
Onto the campsite, near Stromstadt, convienient for the ferry from Moss ( Norway ) tomorrow so as to bypass Oslo.
Large campsite dedicated to water sports of one sort or another. Predominantly the usual large Caravans with patios etc: here for the year. But the tourers and tenters have little nooks and crannies alround the edge next to the beach or looking out over the fjord.
In front of the Van is a 30ft drop to a boardwalk bolted to the cliff face.
5EB74E77-096E-4F36-9AC7-2889BF797985.jpeg

B47EF0A8-3516-4D53-BDE7-2F37CF6DB668.jpeg

1CAEEA9A-49C7-471C-8309-2A68070E391A.jpeg

0DD9FEE8-D4D5-478D-8B7B-B2008C6413B1.jpeg

409DFDA3-9852-4CE0-9696-C1DAADBC5725.jpeg

The Swedish do like their Flag Poles and flags.
The convention seems to be any roadside business must have a minimum of 3 with the same flag, and thereafter only in multiples of 3, so 6,9,12 etc. Most I saw were 24 outside a haulage business.:D

Onto the campsite, near Stromstadt, convienient for the ferry from Moss ( Norway ) tomorrow so as to bypass Oslo.
In Stromstad, the day before he turned three and a half, Ben asked for the pedals to be put on his bicycle. I never taught him to ride a bike, once his pedals were on he was off, and there has been no stopping him since. I don’t think that the campsite where he learnt to ride was the same one where you are staying. I think I’d have been having kittens if there were cliffs nearby.

We stopped in Stromstad for the same reason: to avoid Oslo by taking the ferry from Moss.

Does the video work for anyone?

Left this am for Moss to take the Ferry to bypass Oslo. At the Norwegian Border the Customs and Police/Army out in force. Never saw them on my last 2 trips. Anyway Passport check and then directed to the side like all the other vehicles that were being very thoroughly searched. But, in my case it was just a little chat about my previous visits and where I planned to go this time and I was waved on my way. Must be something I said, my personality or the fact I was in a California. The other cars, Motorhomes had boots/bonnets open all the external lockers on the Motorhomes open and a very thorough search.

Strange really, these checks, as Denmark, Sweden and Norway are all part of the Schengen Area and these checkpoints weren’t manned in 2015/17 when I came this way.

Strange really, these checks, as Denmark, Sweden and Norway are all part of the Schengen Area and these checkpoints weren’t manned in 2015/17 when I came this way.
In 2017 we drove through the red channel after crossing from Sweden to Norway to declare the dogs and show their passports showing the vet administered worming tablets five weeks apart and within the last four weeks - as an alternative-to-normal requirement. There was no one there.

I can only imagine that the increased border security follows the 2015 influx of refugees and other migrants into the EU and Germany in particular, and a real or perceived increased threat of terrorism.

However, while the Nordic countries together could protect their borders, the Norway Sweden border is so long and so open that I would have thought it impossible to adequately guard.

Well now pitched up at a campsite in Evje. Quite a few Great Whites here. When they arrive what a lot of fussing about with ramps etc: to get them level. I just park up and half open the sliding door, if it stays in that position then that’s it.
Slight change of plan, the Car ferry from Lysebotn doesn’t start until 1st June. And I can’t cut across country because the only road I could take is still closed so will have to retrace back to Evje from Lysebotn before heading North.
So, I’m here.
E5CC162A-4F6E-443D-A44F-C4BFC0F54916.jpeg

And hope to go here.

E773B2F6-B1A2-441B-A4C5-A50FCC56A04C.jpeg

As an aside the Average MFD fuel consumption is proving quite accurate.
On Brim to Brim measurement 30.82 mpg and the MFD is 31.6 mpg, BUT I have had the Parking Heater On for about 12 hrs evening/night for the past 3 days so for about 36 hrs. A discrepancy of 0.99 gallons or 4.5L and if that is all due to using the Parking Heater then that would be using 0.125 L/hr.

Had to do something I’m missing Antiques Roadshow.

Just found a Norwegian site about Road Closures. Google Chrome translated.
The Trollstigen Pass is Open and the shortcut from Lysebotn that was closed is ??? due to open at Midday tomorrow. So there is a possibility I won’t have to retrace my route back to Evje.

Had to do something I’m missing Antiques Roadshow.

Get Betternet VPN premium app on your iPad and set your location to UK and you can watch Antiques Roadshow on catchup TV: if you have data or WiFi that is.

Cancel VPN subs when you get home.

Have fun and take care whatever.