Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fredo (I know it was you......)

I also don't have it and was a bit miffed at first, but there is one in the top clove box and it doesn't trap the cable when the lid is closed, so I don't mind now. I pointed this out to the dealer when I picked up my Cali and he said it it is an option. Sorry can't remember the name or code!

I also don't have it and was a bit miffed at first, but there is one in the top clove box and it doesn't trap the cable when the lid is closed, so I don't mind now. I pointed this out to the dealer when I picked up my Cali and he said it it is an option. Sorry can't remember the name or code!
Agree with that!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looking back at the details of the options that I selected I am reminded that App-Connect does include "2 USB interfaces". Hope this means that I will be getting the USB socket in the centre console.

Can people without the centre console USB confirm that they do not have App-Connect?

Anyone with App-Connect who has the centre console USB?

Looking back at the details of the options that I selected I am reminded that App-Connect does include "2 USB interfaces". Hope this means that I will be getting the USB socket in the centre console.

Can people without the centre console USB confirm that they do not have App-Connect?

Anyone with App-Connect who has the centre console USB?
I do have app connect and i do not have the centre socket, sorry

I do have app connect and i do not have the centre socket, sorry

So what option does give you this USB socket?

Why do VW make it so difficult?

I'm hoping I get the USB in this compartment.
I was told I have to have this option with the Comfort Dash

image.jpeg

I'm hoping I get the USB in this compartment.
I was told I have to have this option with the Comfort Dash

View attachment 12494
Not sure what that list is. All the lists I've seen have the USB interface option down as standard for both Beach and Ocean.

image.jpeg

I really don't know if it's option U12 or U14 in your screen shot above.

I was told I had to have it with either the 6.3" screen or the App connect.

Reading your screen shot, it looks like it was because I added the App Connect. Which I only added because I had to have the 6.3" screen that I had to order because I wanted the comfort dash!

@Fredo! I so like your way you look! It's sad this usb port thing isn't standart.

According to my price list from last year when I ordered:
UI4 seems to be the 1st USB port (in the glove box) and was free
UI2 seems to be the 2nd USB port and was a paid option

I really don't know if it's option U12 or U14 in your screen shot above.

I was told I had to have it with either the 6.3" screen or the App connect.

Reading your screen shot, it looks like it was because I added the App Connect. Which I only added because I had to have the 6.3" screen that I had to order because I wanted the comfort dash!
According to my price list from last year when I ordered:
UI4 seems to be the 1st USB port (in the glove box) and was free
UI2 seems to be the 2nd USB port and was a paid option
And in typical VW opaque fashion, the latest list has no options UI2 or UI4 but only has a UI8 which comes as standard!

I have talked to my dealer and he is checking up on exactly what you get now. It may be that the options around this have changed since the Californias in possession now were ordered.

I think I seen our having the usb yesterday(will confirm tomorrow when I pick it up) but we have the WLAN connection box option on it and the nav plus aswell.

I've been thinking about this 'missing' USB.......I did not order the large screen or WLAN or app connect so there probably should not be a USB in the small compartment shown in my earlier photo.

I do have Bluetooth and to be honest other than charging my phone I probably wouldn't use the additional USB. It is handy just being able to pop the phone in this compartment without having to plug in ever time. There is a usb in the glove compartment or I can use an adapter in the 12 volt socket in the small compartment when I need to charge.

Bottom line for me is that I'm happy with my set up.

I hope those who would prefer the additional USB are not disappointed when your receive your California

Well I have ordered App-Connect so I need to use the USB for this to work. The glove compartment is far less convenient and as the brochure promises the socket in the centre console I will be rather displeased with false advertising.

However, I am awaiting clarification on this from VW and my dealer so will not jump to conclusions before getting the facts (if that is possible when it come to unraveling VW options! o_O)

Spotlight

I can see that app-connect would need the USB socket.

I hope it works out for you.

Spotlight

I can see that app-connect would need the USB socket.

I hope it works out for you.
Thanks. Sorry that this issue hijacked your thread.

Enjoy your new van and I can't wait to get my hands on mine!

Thanks. Sorry that this issue hijacked your thread.

Enjoy your new van and I can't wait to get my hands on mine!

No problem.......the funny thing is I was only trying to show the quirky little torch for info for others and you picked up on the USB socket.......but that's what this forum is all about......

Look forward to hearing how it goes when you pick up your California......so far I'm delighted with Fredo.....

No problem.......the funny thing is I was only trying to show the quirky little torch for info for others and you picked up on the USB socket.......but that's what this forum is all about......

Look forward to hearing how it goes when you pick up your California......so far I'm delighted with Fredo.....
I'm not sure I would have noticed the missing USB if Angus hadn't pointed it out! ;)

That is a nice colour. A point to note, I ordered the torch behind the front seat but got a cigarette lighter rather than the cute torch.

That is a nice colour. A point to note, I ordered the torch behind the front seat but got a cigarette lighter rather than the cute torch.
I got the cute torch and the cigarette lighter........lucky me

Back to the USB point, I have had a conversation about this with my dealer recently and it is like this:

The single USB (glove box) WAS standard but the second one in the centre console (only on the Ocean and Beach with comfort dash) was an option.

THEN, VW changed it so that both are chargeable options. The single port can be added in isolation but, when the dealer tried, it turned out that choosing the two USBs option triggers the addition of WIFI at extra cost.

App connect does need a USB connection to function but does not include it, bizarrely. The brochure does say that it needs either 2 USBs or 1 USB to work but 'at an additional cost'.

A strange state of affairs but, unless you specifically asked for 2 USBs, do not expect one in the centre console. I've got a Beach with comfort dash being built next month, hopefully, and I've kind of accepted that there won't be a USB in the centre because to change the options would incur additional charges.

Last edited:
This is all as clear as mud!

Is there anyone out there with a T6 and the USB connection in the centre console? What options did you choose?