Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Average mpg

The 16"/17" refers to the wheel. As far as I am aware the tyre diameters are either the same or close to the same. The 215/235 refers to the width, with the 235 having 20mm more rubber in contact with the road and thus more friction. The tread pattern may also make a difference to the friction.

I'm afraid that I do not know who the odometer measures distance. I expect it counts wheel revolutions and calculates distance by multiplying revolutions by tyre circumference.
I'm getting a bit confused now. For a 17" wheel the height of the tire is the width x profile. For 235/55 therefore 235x.55=129.25 and 216x.6=129.6
Therefore if you buy a beach with 16" wheels the speedo/odometer is set at the factory and if you subsequently change the wheel size to 17" it will make a difference as the overall diameter has decreased, irrespective of what profile tyre you fit.

Sorry meant to say overall diameter has increased in above post

the height of the tire is the width x profile.
Don’t know where you got this formula, but not true. Overall hight is a result of wheel diameter and tire sidewall height. I think you may be confusing this with how the number for a tire profile is assigned, which is a formula based on the tire’s sidewall height and tread width.

Don’t know where you got this formula, but not true. Overall hight is a result of wheel diameter and tire sidewall height. I think you may be confusing this with how the number for a tire profile is assigned, which is a formula based on the tire’s sidewall height and tread width.
That means that two tires with identical sidewall height will have different profile numbers if the tread width is different. It’s the relationship between sidewall height and tread width which largely defines the handling characteristics of a tire, which is why the profile number is so important.

This is what I was trying to explain. I agree that overall height is wheel diameter plus tire sidewall height. All I am trying to say is that the 235/55 and 216/60 tyres have almost identical tire sidewall height so if Tom has switched from 16" to 17" wheels that maybe why his mpg has dropped. As I said I'm not an expert.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 18.14.47.png

I'm getting a bit confused now. For a 17" wheel the height of the tire is the width x profile. For 235/55 therefore 235x.55=129.25 and 216x.6=129.6
Therefore if you buy a beach with 16" wheels the speedo/odometer is set at the factory and if you subsequently change the wheel size to 17" it will make a difference as the overall diameter has decreased, irrespective of what profile tyre you fit.
You seem to have got the relationship between wheel diameter and tyre profile confused, use this to clarify how the change from 16" to 17" wheels with the correct tyres fitted is virtually equal in speed terms.
215/65/16 is correct I believe not 216/60/16.

This is what I was trying to explain. I agree that overall height is wheel diameter plus tire sidewall height. All I am trying to say is that the 235/55 and 216/60 tyres have almost identical tire sidewall height so if Tom has switched from 16" to 17" wheels that maybe why his mpg has dropped. As I said I'm not an expert.

View attachment 50061
Maybe it would help to clarify that the whole point of increasing wheel size (not counting bling factor!) is to reduce sidewall height to improve handling. Tom’s choice was to reduce sidewall height, and to further improve handling by increasing tread width. He achieved both of these goals without changing overall height and diameter, but at a cost in mileage due to rolling resistance.

Last edited:
Maybe it would help to clarify that the whole point of increasing wheel size (not counting bling factor!) is to reduce sidewall height to improve handling. Tom’s choice was to reduce sidewall height, and to further improve handling by increasing tread width. He achieved both of these goals without changing overall height and diameter, but at a cost in mileage due to rolling resistance.
It isn't a case of increasing tyre width & reducing side profile giving improved ride and handling as many car reviews highlight when comparing models fitted with the 'bling' big wheels compared to the more standard wheels fitted on that particular model.
Greatest improvement comes from the actual suspension, ie stiffer ARB's and spring plus damper upgrades which can be cheaper than a set of wheels and tyres. downside is they have no visible 'bling' factor.
As a tyre width increases the road contact area doesn't, wider yes but the front to rear reduces.
This review helps to clarify what is actually the gains-losses with width. A car test but helps to understand the issue.

It isn't a case of increasing tyre width & reducing side profile giving improved ride and handling as many car reviews highlight when comparing models fitted with the 'bling' big wheels compared to the more standard wheels fitted on that particular model.
Greatest improvement comes from the actual suspension, ie stiffer ARB's and spring plus damper upgrades which can be cheaper than a set of wheels and tyres. downside is they have no visible 'bling' factor.
As a tyre width increases the road contact area doesn't, wider yes but the front to rear reduces.
This review helps to clarify what is actually the gains-losses with width. A car test but helps to understand the issue.
Given the same suspension, lower profile reduces sidewall flex, leading to more rapid and precise response to steering input. Downside is that in general this leads to a harsher ride since the sidewalls have less flex to absorb shocks. Other variables such as tire pressure and tread width also have an influence, so this is not as black and white as it might seem.

Given the same suspension, lower profile reduces sidewall flex, leading to more rapid and precise response to steering input. Downside is that in general this leads to a harsher ride since the sidewalls have less flex to absorb shocks. Other variables such as tire pressure and tread width also have an influence, so this is not as black and white as it might seem.
Precisely.

Sorry if this has been covered before. My Ocean 150 dsg has only done a few hundred miles so the engine is still tight, but I'm only getting about 28 mpg. What are people getting when the engine loosens up?
My 150 dsg Ocean only done 100 miles and up to now showing 33 mpg :( but hoping this will improve when run it

Since my very first car I have been addicted to how much a vehicle does MPG(sad but 46 years on still doing it )
Well for a vehicle of 3,000 kg fully laden im please with what it does.(mine never fully laden)
Im on a very high hill so going dn when cold approx. 40 mpg, a 2 mile journey round trip to home from supermarket 23 mpg.(winter) (25 summer) and depending on how many stops made ie traffic light is green.
A trip of 50 mile had at one point 48 mpg ????? what the book says is im lucky to get 43mpg.
Fill her up to the brim take readings, fill her up again to same spot,done it so many times in the past before having a vehicle with a computer but found not much in the readings between Cali computer and the old test so rare do I do it now.
What im saying is, forget the figures VW give,( engine bench tested )its up to YOUR DRIVING and Maintenance of YOUR vehicle and lastly the terrain on where your travelling.
If anything try and beat them !

If that's the computer figure, the real number is probably 25. Mine is the same spec and getting around 37 long term average (real not mfd) although I drive like a wuss.
I too drive conservatively. I had a 150 and it gave good mileage, 40+ and that was after not trusting the MFD. Now got 4motion with the larger engine; much less frugal!

Just drove to Edinburgh and back from Watford on one tank 750 miles. Computer said i5 was averaging 45 mpg. 2013 Beach. Awesome.

Just reached Cumbria from South Coast.

Some traffic on M6 but otherwise a fast trip. 38 MPG

Returning 39.5 Indicated mpg Port Isaac to Gloucester yesterday, straight run, no holdups. Mostly holding 65- 70mph.

Just started our holiday FULLY LOADED went from Carmarthen to Portsmouth....Awful weather and lots of traffic delays...Average 38.7 mpg tank full to full.

What sort of MPG can I expect from the 199 4 Motion DSG variant

Any one ?
199 4motion DSG, new at Chrismas 18: 13500 miles so far, 7000 of them fully loaded with bikes on the back including 3500 in Norway. First 3000 commuting 25 miles a day. 31.4mpg overall so far. It is driven conservatively. Best tank has been 42 (light load no bikes, Derbyshire to south coast return), worst 26 - commuting in heavy traffic.

150 manual 4motion Ocean. 6.5k over the last 14 months = 35.5mpg. A mixture of some long trips but mostly A+B roads round the Lakes and short ~10 miles commuting.

With a 204 4Motion on 235/55 all season tyres, bikes on the back and roof box I got about 30mpg average from UK to Sweden and back recently, and due to time constraints the cruise was set at just over 130kmh, alternating with quite a few roadworks.
Wasn’t as good as I had hoped but I didn’t consider was too bad overall. Have seen well over 45mpg average on the MFD on very gentle runs in the past when partially loaded and nothing on top or back.

after a few mile downhill stretch from the car park at Schilthorn to Interlaken!

Back